Planning to indulge in an afternoon tea set with your besties in the coming weekend? Let’s learn the following afternoon tea etiquette and enjoy the tea set like a British nobility~
‘Afternoon Tea’ V.S. ‘High Tea’
In the nineteenth century, ‘Afternoon Tea’ (also known as ‘Low Tea’) was usually taken at a low table and served with refined delights such as finger sandwiches, scones and cakes etc. Upper-class women love to gather around the table and enjoy the tea set to fill the gap between lunch and dinner.
‘High Tea’ doesn’t refer to a fancy tea as most Hong Kong people assume. It is actually a tea for workers served on a high table with heartier dishes such as meatloaf and stew pot to stuff their stomachs.
The proper way to eat a scone
A delicious scone is always the highlight of the entire tea set. How to eat a scone in British style? The best way to enjoy a scone is to split it apart with your hands rather than cutting with a knife, then put some clotted cream and jam on it ~
English tea etiquette
Stir the teaspoon back and forth quite and gently to mix the milk with tea well instead of stirring in circles. Besides, remember not to drink from your teacup with a teaspoon in it!
Vivienne Westwood Café
The Vivienne Westwood Café on Paterson Street is the first of its kind in Hong Kong. The Café’ interior was inspired by a backstage shoot at a Westwood catwalk show, allowing the diners to admire Vivienne Westwood’s creativity and spirit while enjoying the tasty delicacies.
Highlights include English Breakfast, Duck and Waffle, Mango Napoleon Cake and more.
- Address: Shop F-8, 1/F, Fashion Walk, 27-47 Paterson Street, Causeway Bay
- Telephone: +852 2799 5011
- Opening Hours: Mon - Sun: 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Special Offer: American Express Explorer™ Credit Card Exclusive Offer: Exclusive offer: 20% off petite cakes take-away or 20% off all menus dine-in
With its floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the picturesque St John’s Cathedral, and more than a hint of sophisticated glamour, the elegant Garden Lounge serves signature afternoon teas alongside a refreshing all-day menu featuring some familiar signatures.
Highlights include its Signature Afternoon Tea.
- Address: UG Level, The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel, 22 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong
- Telephone: +852 3141 8888
- Opening Hours: Mon - Fri: 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM (Lunch), 2:45 PM - 4:15 PM ; 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM (Afternoon tea), 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM (Dinner) | Sat: 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM (Lunch), 2:45 PM - 4:15 PM ; 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM (Afternoon tea)
Special Offer: American Express Explorer™ Credit Card Exclusive Offer: Exclusive offer on afternoon tea, à la carte menu: 20% off dine-in lunch and dinner